Books, books glorious books! I've always been a bookworm. I remember fondly back to my childhood days reading books and the MS Readathon. I remember the Scholastic book club - I would order every catalogue. It would always be the latest Babysitters Club by Ann M. Martin and one other choice. I loved the Babysitters Club - and have kept the all in case Savannah ever wants to read them. I wrote a letter to Ann M. Martin once- and even got a reply - I was over the moon!
Another favourite of my childhood was The Magic Faraway Tree. I recently repurchased the 3 books in 1 set and just finished reading the series to Hunter about a month ago. The new version wasn't quite the same - Jo, Bessie, Fanny and have to Joe, Beth and Frannie - but it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the story. Both my kids love reading (or listening to stories) and I'm glad I've passed on this love to them! Hunter and I are now reading The Wishing Chair series - which I somehow managed to miss as a kid.
And unusual for me, 2 books that I tried but just couldn't finish were The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowlings and The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron.
I'm currently reading Harbored Secrets by Marie F Martin. I found this gem via bookrooster (a website that offers free kindle books in exchange for a review on amazon). It's about a girl Blinny who and keeps flashing back to her childhood and then back to the present. It's a great read.
I've listed some of my favourite books split into books read in 2013, favourites of all time and to be read.
Books I've read in 2013
- The Truth Witch - Charles Steed
- The Exemeus - Folami Morris
- The Spice of Life - Jennifer L. Jennings
- Sorceress' Blood - Carl Purcell
- Special Offers - ML Ryan
- Special Rewards - ML Ryan
- Nursing the Doctor - Bobby Hutchinson
- Season of Lies - Monica Shaughnessy
- A Death Displaced - Andrew Butcher
- A Note Below - Andrew Butcher
- Orphan Flu - AD Bolivar
- The Angry Woman Suite - Lee Fullbright
- The Chronicles of Trellah - TS Graham
- Mrs Schadenfreude - Mike Young
- The Do-Over - Kathy Dunnehoff
- Anything by Jodi Picoult
- Anything by Bryce Courtenay - but in particular April Fools Day and The Power of One
- Anything by Paullina Simons - but in particular The Bronze Horseman
- The Hunger Games series - Suzanne Collins
- Thursday Next series - Jasper Fforde
- Fallen series - Lauren Kate
- Stephanie Plum series - Janet Evanovich
- The Hangman's Daughter series - Oliver Potzsch
- Before I go to Sleep - SJ Watson
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy - Steig Larsson
- The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
- Sarah's Key - Tatina de Rosnay
- The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffeneger
- The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
- Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
I have over 500 books in my kindle to be read - but the ones I'm most looking forward to reading are:
- The Help - Kathryn Sprockett
- Sophie's Choice - William Styron
- Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire
- The Child in Time - Ian McEwan
- Shanghai Girls - Lisa See
- The Giver - Lois Lowry
- Room: A Novel - Emma Donoghue
- Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick
Linking up with Deb at Listmania.